Who, what, when, where ?
Our auctions are a way we offer our inventory for purchase. Items include select pieces that are consigned to us from collectors and clients and merchandise from our store owned inventory that we have acquired. Selections include antique furniture, fine art and prints, decorative items, sterling silver, jewelry, designer clothing, sculpture and everything in between. We generally offer an auction each month online through LiveAuctioneers.com
How do I bid for an item ?
It depends on which platform we are using for the specific auction. Please visit the CURRENT AUCTIONS area for link to the auctions. We use LiveAuctioneers.com and AuctionNinja.com depending on the type of auction and inventory we are offering.
What is a buyers premium ?
Housatonic Trading Co. has an 18% buyers premium for all items won at our current auctions. So what exactly IS a buyer’s premium? Simply put, a buyer’s premium is an additional charge that a buyer is charged based on the hammer price (selling price). Your invoice will show you the winning hammer price of each time, the buyers premium, any shipping fees, any applicable sales tax, and the amount due. This becomes the actual amount the buyer is charged for the item(s) when checking out.
Nearly all auction houses charge a buyers premium, and its percentage amount can vary. Remember, the buyer’s premium is an additional charge, not an additional tax.
How and when do I pay for my item(s) ?
If you won items through LiveAuctioneers you will receive an invoice from Housatonic Trading Co and may pay online, over the phone or at time of pickup.
If you won items through a AuctionNinja auction, your credit card on file with AuctionNinja will automatically be charged after the auction ends, and you MUST pickup your items during the given pickup window or you items are forfeited WITHOUT refund.
Can my item(s) be shipped to me?
Depends on which type of auction we are running! We have a highly skilled shipping department right here in-house. Your invoice must be paid in advance of requesting it to be shipped to you. You must contact us via email or phone and inform us that you wish to have your item(s) shipped. We ship in-house and through our preferred local authorized pack and ship center. At our discretion, some oversize and specialty items may be handled by our preferred local pack and ship provider.
We ship through several methods, UPS, US Postal Service Priority Mail and FedEx. After your item is shipped you will receive an email with the tracking information.
Can I pickup my items in person?
YES! We provide easy and convenient pickup of your items at our showroom location in Bantam, CT.
We are open from 10am to 5pm Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Pickups outside of those hours are also available by appointment and must scheduled in advance.
Please note: We have a few steps up to enter our building, please bring your own packing materials and boxes if you are picking up multiple items. We will ensure your items are conveniently available, but we cannot guarantee availability or assistance with any heavy or bulky items so please bring your own help if needed. Bubble wrapping of artwork and fragile items is available for a small fee.
What about furniture items? Do you deliver?
If you live in the NY, CT, MA, RI area, we may be able to provide local delivery services for your furniture items, if you live outside of that area we will likely prefer to ship through our preferred shipper Plycon Transportation (www.plycontransport.com) We have successfully shipped armoires, huge dining tables, and high value artworks through them all across the country without any issues.
You are welcome to use any shipper or furniture delivery service you prefer. You must contact us prior to your item being picked up to authorize your shipper to pickup your items.
I have something I want to sell, can you sell it for me?
Yes! We are always seeking quality consignments for our auctions. You may submit a request through our contact page, or send us an email at email@example.com
1.) We always request photos of the item(s) you wish to consign so that we may determine if it’s appropriate for our upcoming auction. This can be a simple mobile phone picture of the item, or several photos.
2.) Generally we do not accept porcelain or china dinnerware, glassware or stemware.
3.) We will respond to your submission in 2-3 days and if your items are acceptable, we will let you know how we can proceed.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
What about the fine print?
Prior to bidding, please read our terms and conditions detailed below. Housatonic Trading Company requires each and every bidder, whether bidding in person, on the phone, by absentee bid, or through one of our online bidding venues, i.e. LiveAuctioneers or AuctionNinja / Clearing House Estate Sales – you accepts the terms and conditions of the sale.
1. The lots listed in all catalogues will be offered by Housatonic Trading Company as owner or as agent for consignor(s) subject to the following terms and conditions. BIDDING AT THIS AUCTION WHETHER IN PERSON, BY AGENT, ORDER BID, TELEPHONE, INTERNET OR OTHER MEANS CONSTITUTES YOUR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE
2. All property IS SOLD AS IS, where is and without recourse, and neither the consignor(s) nor Housatonic Trading Company makes any representation or warranties, express or implied, with respect to size, count, weight, style, authenticity, provenance, period material, manufacturer, artist, origin copyright or reproduction right or any other warranty except as specified below on any lot sold. All measurements and weights are approximate. All glassware is sold as is; we cannot check every piece for chips. Housatonic Trading Company is not responsible for damage of glass covering paintings, drawings, and other works or frames, regardless of cause. Housatonic Trading Company will not guarantee the authenticity of any signature unless so stated at the time of auction. We are not responsible for typographical errors of descriptions either in the catalog or on the internet.
3. The catalog listings are meant as a descriptive guide only. Housatonic Trading Company encourages all potential bidders to preview our items in person, we hold several days of previews before each auction. Further photographs, condition reports and in hand evaluations are available upon request. Preview days are listed on the website.
4. All sales are final. No returns. No exceptions. Housatonic Trading Company is not responsible for internet bidding errors. Housatonic Trading Company is not responsible for errors made while bidding via electronic medium.
5. Housatonic Trading Company reserves the right to withdraw, combine, or divide any lot at its sole discretion prior to the commencement of bidding.
6. All lots are sold to the highest bidder. The auctioneer has the right to not accept any bid! Bidding maybe reopened at the auctioneer’s discretion. The auctioneer reserves the right to withdraw any item and to re-offer the item at any other time. The auctioneer may execute bids on behalf of absentee bidders and on behalf of consignors up to a reserve price. In the event of a dispute between bidders, the auctioneer has the final discretion to determine the successful bidder or to re-offer the lot in dispute. If any dispute arises after a sale, the Housatonic Trading Company sale record shall be conclusive.
7. Absentee bids may be placed by mail, email, phone or in person. Housatonic Trading Company will execute such bids up to the maximum amount specified. Absentee bids must leave credit cards on file to bid. Housatonic Trading Company is not responsible for errors or omissions in the execution of these bids.
8. A Buyer’s Premium will be added to the hammer price of each lot sold. The purchase price payable by the buyer shall be the sum of the final bid plus a buyer’s premium within 5 days of the given auction.
9. Payment is due within 7 business days of a given auction. Purchases may be made over the phone, in person at our retail showroom, or online through PayPal or Venmo.
10. All purchases are subject to 6.35% Connecticut sales tax. Resale tax numbers from all states are accepted, but the resale tax form must be completely filled out and received prior to time of purchase. If you pick up your item at our location and you do not have a valid resale certificate you will be subject to CT Sales Tax.
11. A small percentage of lots may have a reserve price, which is the confidential minimum price below which such lots will not be sold. Reserves are agreed upon between consignors and Housatonic Trading Company.
12. Employees of Housatonic Trading Company are not prohibited from bidding. It is possible, that through their employment, they may have access to information not available to the public.
13. No auction lot may be removed during the sale or at any time until the full purchase price has been paid. All lots must be paid and removed within 15 days after the auction at the Purchaser’s expense or they are subject to a storage fee of $10.00 per lot, per day. Housatonic Trading Company will not be held responsible for loss or damage to items left on premises over 30 business days. Housatonic Trading Company reserves the right to re-auction, without reserve, items not removed or not paid for within 30 days. If you pay for your lot and do not pickup your item within 15 days, or 30 days subject to the storage fee – your item is forfeited and no refunds are given.
14. Housatonic Trading Company reserves the right to hold goods until Purchaser’s check clears our bank. Returned checks are subject to a $50.00 service charge.
15. A Finance Fee of 1% per month will be added to unpaid balances beginning 30 days after the auction should Housatonic Trading Co decide to hold the item.
16. International buyers should be aware that certain countries do not allow the importation of items containing materials made from endangered species. This includes, but is not limited to, coral and tortoise shell. It is the buyer’s responsibility to check the relevant import and custom regulations prior to bidding. Flat rate shipping fees posted in the auction do not apply to International bidders, or bidders outside the continental United States. International shipping rates will be calculated after the auction and an updated invoice for actual shipping charges will be sent to you.
17. Housatonic Trading Company is only responsible for shipping items that have a posted flat fee shipping amount with the item. We routinely pack and ship items all across the country. If the item DOES NOT have a flat rate shipping fee posted – shipping of those items is to be arranged and paid for by successful bidders. Housatonic Trading Company will provide Purchasers with a list of recommended shippers available on our site. If for any cause a purchased lot cannot be delivered in the condition it was in at the time of sale, or should any purchased lot be stolen or lost prior to delivery/pick-up, Housatonic Trading Company shall not be liable for any amount in excess of that paid by the purchaser. We are not responsible for the acts of omissions of carriers or packers of purchased lots, whether or not recommended by us.
18. Auction items are not available for pick up until after the purchaser receives an invoice and the lot is paid for.
19. All invoices, documents, contracts and conditions are governed by the laws and judicial system of the State of Connecticut, Litchfield County.