A vintage original lithographic poster printed by Mourlot in 1956 advertising exhibition for Marc Chagall Bible Editions, this is an original from that edition, not a smaller version published in 1959.
Fernand Mourlot. The son of Jules Mourlot, he and two of his brothers joined their father in the Imprimerie Bataille, Paris. Upon the death of Jules Mourlot in 1921, the atelier was renamed Mourlot Fr res. Under the guidance of Fernand, Mourlot Frres developed an exceptional reputation with museums and galleries for producing finely executed art posters in the 1920’s and 1930’s. The prominent artists of the day–Bonnard, Chagall, Picasso, Matisse, Dufy, Gris, Braque, L_ger, Kandinsky, MirÑ, etc., all came to the studio and began years of cooperative work with Fernand Mourlot. The results of this collaboration were so successful that more and more galleries chose Mourlot to print posters for their exhibits, known as Affiches de Peintres Lithographi_es. By the mid-20th century, the reputation of Mourlot Frres was so respected that the words “Imprim_e par Mourlot” were enough to guarantee the finest quality lithographs and demand a premium collector or auction value, worldwide.